Thursday, February 13, 2014

Selfishly Selfless

I don't know about you, but I've never really been that good at being good. When I do happen to find myself doing something that people might label as good I feel pridefully self-aware which I think automatically makes the act not good, but a self-serving one. I remember watching "Friends" during a certain "period" of my life (I think I've probably watched every episode multiple times) and seeing an episode where Joey (a man that loves food...I can totally relate) is arguing with Phoebe that you can't do a good deed...not truly. Because as soon as you start to feel good about yourself doing that deed then it becomes a selfish deed which makes it "not good, not selfless."

That stuck out to me, before I was a Christian, as something that really was true.

I have recently started visiting a jail in town and while I love meeting the people there and I love talking about Jesus, I hate that it is usually on the forefront of my mind when I'm talking to someone of things to brag about. I'm almost waiting for the opportunity to slip it into the conversation. I hate that.

I am thankful though that my weakness point out to me the overwhelming grace that is available through my Savior Jesus Christ. What do I mean by that?

My wife and I have recently purchased a tiny tricycle for our almost 2 year old daughter. Allie (she's a rascal...a cute one) hasn't yet grasped the concept of pedaling, although she does seem to be slowly progressing. Even though she can't pedal she still has the desire to ride the thing and to move around on it.

When she can't pedal, or when she tries to and her foot slips off the pedal I step in and push the tricycle from behind. This usually isn't something that she's aware of, she usually just expresses the desire to move in a direction, she tries her best, and if she fails I step in to accomplish the task for her while she enjoys the ride.

I think that's a little bit of what it's like when you are Christian. We have a genuine desire to please the Lord and to trust Him and to love others, but we can't do it. However, when we fail our Father steps in and does the task for us. Our weaknesses only serve to display to us (and sometimes others) the love that God has for us.

Are you worried about making a mistake today? Don't be....not because you won't be penalized....but because through Jesus you have a Father that will love you no matter what and that will step in and show Himself to you especially when you fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment