Saturday, March 23, 2013

Set Free

Galatians 6:14 (ESV) — 14 But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
_________

What do you boast about? What is it that in a conversation you can't wait to bring up? What is it that you heart confides in and takes comfort in?

For me I struggle with taking solace in my family time. Often when I'm feeling tired during a work day I think, "at least I can go home to my family, then I can relax."

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with taking comfort in family. I'm saying that we often take a very good thing and elevate it to a God thing.

What do I mean?

I look to my family to provide something for me that only my Savior can provide. What I'm really saying to myself at work is, "I can't wait to spend time with my family because they will restore me, they will be my refuge." But family isn't like that...is it? At times it can be, but more often than not family is or can be just as demanding as work. So when we are expecting/needing restoration from family and they don't provide what happens? Bitterness creeps in, disappointment, anger, resentment.

This isn't just family, whatever your heart wants to boast in....your salary, your fitness, your hobby....your heart longs for restoration, for peace but it will be constantly disappointed looking for it in anything that isn't God Himself.

Paul (in the text) is saying that he has resolved to only boast in what Jesus has done for him. He is going to make that his refuge, he is going to let that be the place that his heart looks to for restoration. He says, "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

What does he mean, "by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world"?

We all have needs, we need to know that we're loved, we need to feel a sense of belonging, we need to feel accepted and we spend our lives seeking this out and defending it when we find a way to meet these needs.

The problem is that what we use to meet these needs only work for short-term "fixes." They are constantly running out and need to be replenished. "If I could only land a job where I'm making $50,000+ a year then I'd be content." You get the job and it's not enough, it's never enough. You need more. The lie is that if something doesn't fulfill you, more of it will.

Paul is saying that the gospel has set him free from this cycle.

Are you still caught up in the cycle? Do you want to be set free from it?


Matthew 11:28 (NLT) — 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

I have to constantly remind myself not to boast in anything except Jesus. The words of this old hymn say it well...
"I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom"



No comments:

Post a Comment